24 November 2010

Five Kernels of Corn

So the story goes: in their leanest winters, the pilgrims came to a time where each person was allocated only five kernels of corn for their subsistence each day. So for as long as I can remember, before my family eats Thanksgiving dinner, we put five kernels of corn on each person’s plate and go around the table and list five things we’re thankful for. Two years ago I was at OCS and unable to discuss over the dinner table, so I caught my platoon while we were waiting for PT (Ha! You’re in formation and not allowed to talk! No choice but to listen to me!) and told them my five things I was thankful for. This year I am again lacking a dinner table, so you all have to endure my list. Of course, the standard "I’m thankful for my friends and family" applies. But that goes without saying, right?

1. I am thankful that neither myself nor anyone from my platoon has sustained serious injuries while we’ve been here. Sure, we’ve had the odd set of stitches, smashed thumbs, and some bumps and bruises from IEDs, but nothing that required anyone be sent home.
2. I am thankful for my nephew (Photo credit to Juanita. Thanks for the picture! Hope you don't mind me using it without your permission...). I haven’t met him yet, but I’m sure he’s the coolest 4-month-old alive.
3. I am thankful for all the friends I’ve made on this deployment: Wanda, Carmella, Tim, Sherry, Tanya, Joshua, Kim, Jay, Miguel, and Bill.
4. I am thankful for all the support I’ve received from my friends and family back home. Your cards, packages, and e-mails made a huge difference to my morale.
But, most of all:
5. I AM THANKFUL THAT I AM COMING HOME SOON. Yes, I know that all caps means I am shouting. I don’t care.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment